1944 Pavilion History
The Beginning

A public meeting was held on 12th December 1944 when it was decided to inaugurate a Scheme for commemorating the Peace. For this purpose Hemingford Grey and Hemingford Abbots should combine. The form which the memorial was to take was that of a playing field to serve the needs of the two villages.

1944 Pavilion History
Newspaper cutting
1944 Pavilion History
The Scheme

The thought of thanksgiving for victory. A tribute to all those who served their country The provision of something which would be of permanent value to residents and their children. The form which the memorial is to take is that of a playing field to serve the needs of the two villages.

1944 Pavilion History
The inauguration of the Scheme

The Vineyard was gifted by Lt.Col.S.D. Hayward to the villages for this purpose. The cost of turning the Vineyard into a playing field was estimated by the National Playing Fields Association to cost £2,500.
A committee, formed by representatives of the two villages, was formed to take the necessary steps.
An appeal was made to obtain funds to layout and equip the field.

1946 - 1949 Pavilion History
Construction of the Playing Fields

Construction of the first Pavilion, Cricket pitch, Football Pitch, Hockey Pitch, Two tennis courts, Bowling green and Children’s play area

11th August 1949 Pavilion History
The Grand Opening

The opening was attended by over three hundred villagers.

The official opening took place by the unveiling of a plaque at 3:00pm by the actress Lana Morris.

1964 Pavilion History
The Nissen Huts

The Nissen Huts served their purpose for many years but were eventually replaced in 1964.

One of the reasons given was that a long six from the cricket square landing on the hut resulted in showers of rust falling onto the cricketers sandwiches.

1982 Pavilion History
The Future

The old wooden Pavilion was coming to the end of its useful life and an ambitious plan was drawn up to replace it with a two story brick built Pavilion at a cost of £70,000. Grants amounting to £41,000 were secured with the balance raised by the Trustees and Constituent clubs.

1986 Pavilion History
The Hemingford Peace Memorial Field

A stunning areal photo of the complex before the days of drone photography!

1999 Pavilion History
The Hayward Hall and Manor Room

Built at a cost of £250,000 £130,000 from Hemingford Grey Parish Council
(which included £90,000 from Beazer Homes as part of the Pinders Green planning agreement) £51,000 raised by the constituent clubs £35,000 from a brewery loan £20,000 raised by the trustees

1944 Pavilion History
New Squash Courts and Bowls Clubhouse

The Sports Academy, a non profit making organisation, was set up in 2003 by David Morgan, a village resident, to develop a Cambridgeshire based centre of excellence for young squash players. A fourth squash court was required, with a viewing area, if Hunts County Squash wished to apply to run National Championships and create capacity for increased coaching time. A planning application for a fourth glass back court with viewing area and an improved clubhouse for the bowls club and its members was approved in July 2004.

2011 Pavilion History
Pavilion Pictures

The Community Cinema was opened in December 2011. The Hayward Hall benefited from a £13,000 refurbishment funded by grants from The National Lottery and AmeyCespa. New chairs, refurbished floor and state of the art audio visual system were installed.

2011 Pavilion History
The Hayward Hall Refurbishment

The Hayward Hall benefited from a £13,000 refurbishment funded by grants from The National Lottery and AmeyCespa. New chairs, refurbished floor and state of the art audio visual system were installed.

2012 Pavilion History
Defibrillator Installation

A defibrillator was purchased and installed adjacent to the main entrance. A training programme organised by the Trustees was attended by staff and members from constituent clubs

 

2013 Pavilion History
The Manor Room

In January 2013 the Manor Room benefited from a £10,000 refurbishment funded by The National Lottery and funds provided by the Trustees.

New chairs and tables, a multi purpose floor and state of the art audio visual equipment were installed.

Hunts Post Article

2014 Pavilion History
Air conditioning grant

A grant was awarded to the Hemingford Peace Memorial Field by The National Lottery to install air conditioning in the Hayward Hall and Chris Page Room

2015 Pavilion History
Access to All

A project to improve disabled access was undertaken including: installation of an outside stair lift, widening access doors, improving lighting, installing grab handles and the marking out of a disabled parking bay. This work was financed by a grant from The National Lottery

2017 Installation of Bi-Fold Windows
Installation of Bi-Fold Windows
Bi-Fold windows were installed in the Lounge providing open views to the bowls green and beyond. This work was generously funded by a family with long connections to the Pavilion
2020 - 2021 Pavilion History
Were back

 

 

 

 

Due to the impact of Coronavirus, the Pavilion and most Sporting Activities were shut down in line with Government Restrictions but due actions taken by volunteers to safeguard it's members and maintain the buildings and services, the Pavilion has now fully re-opened.