History

The Hemingford Pavilion was founded in 1944 and since then has grown to become a fully catering sports facility and conference centre.

Key Contact

General Manager

Phone: 01480 464490

Email: [email protected]

1944

The Beginning

A public meeting was held on 12th December 1944 when it was decided to inaugurate a Scheme for commemorating the Peace. For this purpose Hemingford Grey and Hemingford Abbots should combine. The form which the memorial was to take was that of a playing field to serve the needs of the two villages.

1944

The Scheme

The thought of thanksgiving for victory. A tribute to all those who served their country The provision of something which would be of permanent value to residents and their children. The form which the memorial is to take is that of a playing field to serve the needs of the two villages.

1946-1946

Construction of the Playing Fields

Construction of the first Pavilion
 Cricket table
Football Pitch
Hockey Pitch
Two tennis courts
Bowling green
Children’s play area

1964

The inauguration of the Scheme

The Vineyard was gifted by Lt.Col.S.D. Hayward to the villages for this purpose. The cost of turning the Vineyard into a playing field was estimated by the National Playing Fields Association to cost £2,500. A committee, formed by representatives of the two villages, was formed to take the necessary steps. An appeal was made to obtain funds to layout and equip the field.

11th August 1949

The Grand Opening

The opening was attended by over three hundred villagers. The official opening took place by the unveiling of a plaque at 3:00pm by the actress Lana Morris.

1964

The Nissen Huts

The Nissen Huts served their purpose for many years but were eventually replaced in 1964. One of the reasons given was that a long six from the cricket square landing on the hut resulted in showers of rust falling onto the cricketers sandwiches.

1982

The Future

The old wooden Pavilion was coming to the end of its useful life and an ambitious plan was drawn up to replace it with a two story brick built Pavilion at a cost of £70,000. Grants amounting to £41,000 were secured with the balance raised by the Trustees and Constituent clubs.

1999

The Hayward Hall and Manor Room

Built at a cost of £250,000 £130,000 from Hemingford Grey Parish Council
(which included £90,000 from Beazer Homes as part of the Pinders Green planning agreement) £51,000 raised by the constituent clubs £35,000 from a brewery loan £20,000 raised by the trustees

2004

New Squash Courts and Bowls Clubhouse

The Sports Academy, a non profit making organisation, was set up in 2003 by David Morgan, a village resident, to develop a Cambridgeshire based centre of excellence for young squash players. A fourth squash court was required, with a viewing area, if Hunts County Squash wished to apply to run National Championships and create capacity for increased coaching time. A planning application for a fourth glass back court with viewing area and an improved clubhouse for the bowls club and its members was approved in July 2004.

2011

Pavilion Pictures

The Community Cinema was opened in December 2011. The Hayward Hall benefited from a £13,000 refurbishment funded by grants from The National Lottery and AmeyCespa. New chairs, refurbished floor and state of the art audio visual system were installed.

2013

Manor Room

In January 2013 the Manor Room benefited from a £10,000 refurbishment funded by The National Lottery and funds provided by the Trustees. New chairs and tables, a multi purpose floor and state of the art audio visual equipment were installed.

2014

Air conditioning grant

A grant was awarded to the Hemingford Peace Memorial Field by The National Lottery to install air conditioning in the Hayward Hall and Chris Page Room